Welcome to UC Berkeley MDes FA22 Cohort
Congratulations on your acceptance to the Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) program! We are thrilled to welcome the Class of Fall 2022 (FA22) and look forward to bringing you all together as the second MDes cohort.
The Berkeley MDes integrates human-centered design with a sophisticated understanding of technology to prepare you to excel in creative practices today and design the thoughtful technologies of tomorrow.
Our core courses provide fluency in emerging technologies and essential skills in design process, prototyping, and communication. Technical electives and offerings in social practice and entrepreneurship allow you to deepen your study at UC Berkeley in meaningful and relevant ways.
We believe our program, given its interdisciplinary approach and unique focus on design, technology, and social practice, is well-suited to your academic interests and professional goals. We also know that this cohort with its distinguished experience and unique perspectives will make a dynamic contribution to our creative community!
On this page, you’ll find a list of resources, ways to connect with your future classmates and faculty, and important dates as you prepare to begin your Master of Design degree at UC Berkeley!
DATES + DEADLINES
- MAR 19: Join us for MDes Admitted Student Events
- MDes Virtual Visit Day, 9:00 – 11:00am PDT
- MDes Welcome Forum, 5:00 – 6:30pm PDT
- APR 2: MDes Admitted Student Cohort Conversation. Registration (with Zoom link)
- APR 15: Deadline to accept your offer of admission (SIR or “Statement of Intent to Register”)
- MAY 27: Deadline to request a deferral of admission
- JUL 1: New graduate students matriculated. New graduate students uploaded in Handshake (job board, career events, etc.).
- JUL 16: Enrollment opens for new MDes students to register for fall courses
- AUG 23/24: MDes Orientation
- AUG 25: MDes & UC Berkeley classes start
MDES STUDIO + FACILITIES
Check out the MDes facilities and creative spaces through a tour given by Faculty Director Eric Paulos and Associate Director Kyle Steinfeld.
COMMUNITY + CULTURE
MDes Classes Social Media
- Technology Design Foundations (TDF)
- Debates in Design (DnD)
UC Berkeley Design Community
- Jacobs Institute Design Field Notes
- Jacobs Institute Design Conversations
- College of Environmental Design (CED) Lecture Series
- Berkeley Center for New Media Events
Learn about the SP22 students @ MDes Student Cohort Profiles
Connect with the SP22 cohort and your admitted peers:
For international students: