Congratulations, MDes SP22 Cohort!
Congratulations on your completion of the Berkeley Master of Design (MDes) program! We are so proud to be graduating the inaugural cohort, and are excited for the places you’ll go.
We hope you that during your time in MDes you have grown as a designer, found life-long friends, and feel prepared to innovate in emerging technologies. We know that this cohort with its distinguished experience and unique perspectives has made a dynamic contribution to our creative community!
On this page, you’ll find a list of resources, details about MDes graduation, and important dates as you prepare to for commencement celebrations and events!
- MAY 06: MDes Showcase (DET I + DET II)
- MAY 11 + 12: MDes Design Studio Reviews
- MAY 16 + 17: MDes T-0: Pioneers Graduate Show
- MAY 14: Campus Commencement (optional for SP22 students)
- MAY 16 4pm-5pm: MDes Graduation Ceremony (strongly recommended for SP22 students)
- MAY 16 5-7pm: MDes T-0: Pioneers Opening Reception (strongly recommended for SP22 students)
- MAY 17 9am-11am: CoE Commencement (recommended for SP22 students)
- MAY 17 11am-1pm: MDes Graduation Reception (strongly recommended for SP22 students)
- MAY 17 12-5pm: MDes T-0: Pioneers Public Exhibition
DATES & DEADLINES
- ASAP: Guest registration for Campus Commencement and CoE Commencement
- ASAP: Order regalia if you are participating in the CoE commencement; see the FAQs section for more information
- APR 1: Deadline to nominate a MDes Program Commencement Speaker; to make a nomination, please complete this form
- APR 15: Deadline to register for Campus Commencement and CoE Commencement to ensure name is printed in program. There are separate registrations for each ceremony.
- APR 15: Deadline to submit student speaker auditions for CoE Commencement
- APR 17: Deadline to nominate a SP22 student to be the Student Speaker at the MDes Graduation Ceremony
- MAY 6: Deadline for guests to RSVP for MDes commencement events; though late RSVPs will be accepted, we need an accurate guest count by this date to facilitate catering
- MAY 9: Provide your name pronunciation for the MDes Graduate Ceremony and preferred name spelling for the print program by filling out this 2-question form.
- MAY 12: Pick up your commencement kit (jacket, ring) from the MDes studio at 12:30pm
- MAY 18-20: Exhibition cleanup and studio moveout (everything must be recycled, discarded, and cleaned by end of day on May 20)
Where can I get information about commencement events for the FA22 cohort?
We strongly encourage FA22 students to attend their commencement events for their cohort in December 2022. We will publish a webpage with more details about Fall 2022 graduation when they are ready. For now, please reference this spreadsheet.
We also encourage FA22 students to attend the SP22 cohort’s commencement events this May, especially the MDes specific programming, as guests.
Am I required to purchase graduation regalia to participate in commencement?
Regalia–specifically, the Mas
Regalia is not required for the MDes Graduation Ceremony or the campus-wide commencement. The campus has some donated gowns for students who need financial assistance; please contact Amy Dinh (email@example.com) ASAP for more information if you may need this service.
What should I do if I bought the wrong color Master hood?
Brown is the correct master hood color for the Master of Design. If you have purchased another color based on prior information, please contact the CoE commencement organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org; they will swap it for you before commencement.
What is the difference between the campus, CoE, and MDes graduation events?
The campus-wide commencement (May 14) is open to all undergraduate and graduate students, in every school and college. Graduate names are not read at the campus-wide event in the spring. The CoE commencement (May 17) is for Master’s students in all College of Engineering programs. Students will walk across the stage while having their names read; their names will also be published in the event program if they have registered on time. The MDes Graduation Ceremony (May 16) is only for Master of Design graduates and their invited guests; we will have speakers and announce everyone’s names.
We strongly encourage MDes students to participate in the MDes Graduation Ceremony. Each student can choose whether they will also attend the campus-wide commencement, CoE commencement, or both.
Direct questions to your commencement committee: Amy Dinh, Gwynne Keathley, Effie Jia, Georgios Grigoriadis, Jan Veicht, and Titus Ebbecke